Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Day 7

Taught today. Did a lesson on Paul Revere and his midnight ride, and Sybil Ludington and her midnight ride. Did you know there was a sixteen year old girl who did the same thing? I didn't, until I started planning this lesson.

This lesson was delivered to me by my CT, and I just added the frills, so it wasn't too much work. I read the Longfellow poem, they read the Ludington poem plus an abridged version of the Revere poem, then completed a Venn Diagram comparing the two.

My CT liked how I pulled some higher level thinking skills out of them. She told me not to get discouraged when they didn't answer, that they weren't used to it.

I told her that's why I went into teaching. To get kids to think.

It was a good day.

The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think -- rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.
~ Bill Beattie

No comments: