Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wanted: Job for a creative teacher!

So why is it that baby boomer teachers are retiring all over the country, causing a major shortage of teachers, and in northwestern NJ, no one will leave???!!!

According to the NY Times, schools are offering bonuses as they compete for a limited pool of teachers. And the local schools here have no openings.

I have one friend telling me about the many positions in Fairfax, Virginia. Another telling me that Las Vegas has hundreds of unfilled positions. And my children beg me to not make them leave their schools. Makes it really challenging to know what to do.

In the meanwhile, I’ve registered to sub at every local school. I’m hoping that will help me at least get some interviews.

200+ applicants for one position are odds too just overwhelming for any normal person.

But someone, somewhere, will want a teacher who is passionate about learning, great at building rapport with students, excited about teaching (AND with years of experience working with children and adolescents, so knows what she is getting into!), and with extraordinary gifts to share with children.

If you are such an administrator, want my resume?

“The essence of optimism is that it takes no account of the present, but it is a source of inspiration, of vitality and hope where others have resigned; it enables a man to hold his head high, to claim the future for himself and not to abandon it to his enemy.”

—Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945), theologian

No comments: