Friday, August 31, 2007

Class

Oh. My. Goodness.

I think I have finally figured it out. The reason for the lesson the universe is insisting I learn right now. The one that has made sure I’ve endured trial after trial after trial.

For a while, I thought maybe I needed to learn grace under pressure, or how to allow stress to just flow through my body without affecting me, or something zen-like that would help my coping skills. I was, after all, a rather reactionary teen, easily erupting into flames upon the slightest provocation. My brothers called me Lucy (from Peanuts) growing up because I was so bossy. And there were many, many slammed doors during my adolescence. So I felt as though perhaps I was enduring a bit of “what goes around, comes around” kind of same-lifetime karmic debt. Except it wasn’t my own adolescents reacting that way, causing me the trials and tribulations of what my parents had to endure during my adolescence. It was life from outside attacking from all quarters.

I had a wonderful conversation yesterday with a friend from my covenant group, who called because she was concerned about my well-being, given all I’ve been through in the last couple years. She told me about “The Cloud of Unknowing”, written by a 14th century monk as guide to achieving perfect union with the creator. Since our conversation, I’ve been contemplating how a lesson might be pulled from the idea that I must let go of all earthly concerns to find perfect peace.

And then this Ann Landers quote arrived in my inbox this morning:
“Class is the sure-footedness that comes with having proved you can meet life.”
and I realized … it’s that simple. I am learning class. That’s the lesson the universe is currently force-feeding me.

Maybe it really is all about grace under pressure.

I think I will be some classy chick when life is through with me.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear;
You already were one classy lady when I "met" you! And you will come out of this smellin' like the rose that you are. Hugs, susanna