Sunday, October 01, 2006

Gratitude Journals

If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is “thank you,” it will be enough.
~ Meister Eckhart


This month, my covenant group is working on the subject of gratitude. One of the suggestions in our topic outline is to maintain a gratitude journal. Studies have shown that people who maintain a gratitude journal, who take the time each day to think about how they are grateful, live happier, healthier, more productive lives.

I think I’ll start writing down ways I have been grateful each day. It’s part of my journey to live in joy rather than fear.

Today, I am grateful for my children getting up early enough to make sure we could get to church on time. I wanted to hear a specific minister.

Today I am grateful for the grill my sister-in-law helped us buy, that cooked the wonderful steak we ate for dinner.

Today I am grateful for the wonderful afternoon I had with my girls, going to the movies. I’m grateful that someone opened the Washington Theater, so we could go to $5/person movies.

Today I am grateful for the geese who flew overhead as I was cooking dinner. I’m also grateful they didn’t opt to do target practice on me or on dinner as they flew overhead.

Today I am grateful for the rain which watered my plants.

Thank you, life.

No comments: