Friday, July 06, 2007

Tracking my daughter, Travel Girl

Please indulge me as I wonder aloud about my eldest daughter, who must now be named Travel Girl, who is off on her People to People exchange trip to the South Pacific. I'm so proud of her, this daughter who wouldn't leave my knee until she was five years old, who was so worried about starting school at age 13 for the first time (even a tiny charter school with a total of 105 students, K-8), who successfully navigated her first year of high school (first time in a real public school), and then who decided to take off for the South Pacific on her first trip away from home, and managed to fund raise and earn half her considerable expenses! And I can't believe how my heart shattered into a bazillion sobbing pieces as I drove away from the airport on Tuesday, after hugging her goodbye! I never anticipated I would miss her this much!

On Day 3 (her first day on the island, she was whisked off to a local arts center, where she watched fire dancers and other esciting events. This is what her itinerary says:
You will be met by traditional warriors who will be your host throughout the day in which you will get to see up close the making of Fijian artifacts, folk dances, chief’s traditional thatched hut plus many enriching experience.
And this is a picture I found on the internet of the Arts Center.


Yesterday she spent the day in a local Fijian school, having an amazing time meeting other students from another culture, I hope!




Today is her 5th day away, 3rd day in Fiji. She's currently on a boat somewhere around Tivua Island. This is what the island looks like, and she's snorkeling, according to her itinerary:
Enjoy local games and beach volleyball including glass bottom boat tours and snorkeling.
I hope my girl is having the time of her life!

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.
~Anatole France

1 comment:

Suna Kendall said...

Much sympathy to you, since Tuba Boy is also off on his first solo adventure, though only 4 hours away. I miss him so much, too, especially since his cell phone stopped working on the day he got to debate camp!

I saw my choir director and her husband greet their son as he returned from his summer adventure in the Dominican Republic--I hope you have as good a welcome!